Many people are looking for the best ways to lose weight but too many are tempted by a “magic solution” and use the latest fad diet to try and solve their problem. Unfortunately there is no magic solution and indeed many fad diets can be counter-productive because you do not lose fat and the weight quickly returns. Although being overweight is bad for your health it is worse to get into a cycle of “yoyo” dieting. So if you really want to lose weight you have to accept that you need to change your lifestyle permanently.
You are overweight because of a combination of the following:
- Eating too much
- Eating the wrong foods
- Not taking enough exercise.
However this does not mean that you must go hungry and rush out and join a gym as small changes can add up.
Eating Too Much
To address the issue of eating too much you need to consider why you eat. Most of the time this is not related to hunger, we eat because that is what we normally do in particular situations or at particular times. These “conditioned responses” can be difficult to break and can result in cravings. Some people find that weight loss hypnosis is a considerable help with this. Examples of the sort of things you can do include:
- Use smaller plates – There is a tendency to eat what is front of you and if you have less on a smaller plate (which still looks full) you are likely to be quite satisfied with it.
- Eat slowly – Talk, sip water, put your fork down between mouthfuls and generally take your time over a meal. You will find that you are satisfied with less.
- Avoid situations where you will feel a need to eat – If you can’t watch a movie without a bucket of popcorn pass on the movie tickets and do something active instead. If you always buy a snack on the way to work take a different route where this is not an option.
- Eat five or six small meals or snacks a day instead of three large meals – This will actually result in you eating less without feeling hungry. Also never skip breakfast.
- Cut down on alcohol – Apart from the fact that alcoholic drinks are high in calories most people eat more when they are drinking (particularly high calorie sweet foods). Not only that but the effect on the liver means that food eaten with alcohol is likely to be stored as fat.
Eating The Wrong Foods
To achieve a healthy weight loss, as well as cutting down the amount eaten, you also need to address what you eat. The aim must be to eat a balanced diet and not try to cut out any food type. In particular all fat is not bad and eating the right fat is important for health and weight loss. You should not seek to exclude all foods you enjoy even if they are bad for you but they should be treats rather than eaten every day.
- You should read food labels carefully and try to avoid products sweetened with lots of sugar or high fructose corn syrup. These are high in calories and provide no nutritional benefits whilst causing cravings for more sugary foods and being linked to a number of health issues including diabetes.
- You should also avoid trans fats often described on food labels as hydrogenated oils or partially hydrogenated oils. This type of processed fat is of no benefit to the body and can lead to problems like clogged arteries.
- Better still avoid processed foods as much as possible as they make it difficult to control what you are eating.
- Eat fruit and vegetables, whole grain bread and brown rice.
- Eat natural fat from oily fish and nuts – you can even substitute nuts for sugary snacks.
- Drink plenty of water – a glass when you feel hungry will often suppress the hunger and drinking water before meals will reduce the amount you want to eat.
Taking More Exercise
Finally, once you have your diet sorted, you can think about increasing the exercise you take. If you are not used to exercise you should take advice from your doctor and build up the level gradually. Using exercises to help lose weight is good and using a gym is probably ideal but the most important thing is that you enjoy it, otherwise you will not keep it up. Find something you enjoy that’s easy for you to do in terms of location and cost. It is then more likely that you will incorporate this into your routine and continue to do it.
It is also well worth looking for ways of incorporating more exercise into your existing routines. We have all heard the advice to use the stairs whenever practical but how many actually do so? If you want to find something that allows you to continue to eat too much of an unhealthy diet and still lose weight and keep it off, you will be disappointed. You have to make permanent changes to achieve this. So the best ways to lose weight are to only eat when you need to, eat a healthy diet and take more exercise.